Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Oscar nominees be warned: Surprises lay ahead

Actress Penelope Cruz arrives at the 24th annual Santa Barbara International Film Festival in Santa Barbara, California Jan. 24, 2009.

"I am so happy to be part of a group of people that can work, that can make a living out of this profession that I've loved so much since I was a little girl, that I really don't want to obsess about winning," Cruz said.

Oscar newcomer Melissa Leo, a best-actress nominee for her role as a destitute mom who turns to crime in the border-smuggling drama "Frozen River," said she never gave a thought about competing for an Academy Award.

U.S. actress Melissa Leo holds her Silver Shell best actress award for the film "Frozen River" at the San Sebastian International Film Festival Sept. 27, 2008.

"I'm an actor. I think about what the next job is. I think about what my character is. I think about what my director's needs are. I don't dream about this. So it's a dream I have not yet dared to dream," Leo said. "Win, lose or draw come the 22nd, I've gotten more than I ever dreamt of."

Frank Langella, a first-time nominee with an acclaimed stage background, said his Oscar nomination as Richard Nixon in "Frost/Nixon" was a career high-point but that it would not alter his career.

No comments: