Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Denzel Washington wants West End run

Denzel Washington wants to bring his play 'Fences' to the UK.

The two-time Oscar winner is unsure if his schedule and the financial implications of going to London's West End theatre district with the production - currently being staged on Broadway in New York - make it viable, but is keen on the idea.

Denzel, 55, said: "They want to take it to London. But can I go? I'd love to - but have you seen my bills?

"I would love to go, but is it possible? I just don't know. I'm not ruling it out, though."

The play tells the story of African American man Troy Maxson - played by Denzel - and his wife Rose, portrayed by Viola Davis, who struggle with their life in 1950s Pittsburgh.

It was originally written by August Wilson in 1983 and went on to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1987.

Scott Rudin, co-producer of the current production, wants to bring the play and Denzel across the Atlantic, saying: "I'd do it like a shot."

However, he acknowledges there are several hurdles to overcome.

If a West End run does happen, the entire seven person cast will reprise their roles.

Rose's husband Julius Tennon insists his wife would be open to the idea of showcasing her talents in the UK capital.

He said: "I think she'd love to do that."

Both Rose and Denzel are tipped as contenders for Tony awards this summer.

No comments: