Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Eva Mendes Defends Nudity

I'm too sexy for TV?

Sexy star Eva Mendes has slammed Americans for glorifying violence while remaining prudish about nudity on-screen. Eva was at the centre of controversy in August when an ad she filmed for Calvin Klein was deemed too sexy for U.S. TV and banned by several of the major networks. Eva has since insisted that she is proud of the promo, which saw her writhing semi-naked on a bed. And now she has hit out at American censors for allowing gory shows to appear on TV, yet being too heavy-handed when it comes to naked scenes. She tells People.com, “I love my country, but I believe that we are too quick to censor nudity. We seem OK with violence, but nudity we race to criticise and censor. I’m not at all ashamed or frightened about showing my body.”

And isn’t it the same in Malaysia too. We are too coy about sex or nudity even when it is crucial to the story, yet violence, however brutal it may be, gets past the censors just fine. I guess, anything is fine, as long as the actors keep their clothes on!

Sex or violence, which should the censors be more relaxed about? So, which camp are you on?

No comments: