Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Low-budget movie sweeps centenary awards

The Way We Are, an unglamorous but moving portrait of a working-class town best known for its poverty and violence, has swept the top honors at the Hong Kong Film Awards.

Best new performer award winner and youngest nominee, Xu Jiao (right) waves as she arrives at the Hong Kong Film Awards presentation ceremony. AFP

The docu-drama, produced with a low budget and little-known cast, took the best director, best actress, best supporting actress and best screenplay gongs at Hong Kong's biggest annual film event, which also marked the 100th anniversary of the city's film industry.

The movie gives voices to the ordinary residents of Tin Shui Wai, a Hong Kong town near the border with the Chinese mainland, which in recent years has suffered a string of tragedies involving suicide and domestic violence.

"When I was young, I always thought I could only prove myself a great director if I won awards at Cannes (Film Festival)," said veteran director Ann Hui as she received her award at the glittering ceremony held in the Hong Kong Cultural Center. "But now that I am old, I think getting the award from my own people is my greatest honor."

Paw Hee-ching, 59, who grabbed the best actress award for playing a single mother in the drama, praised Hui.

"There was no money, no all-star cast. There was only a director with great enthusiasm and excellent work attitude, who managed to turn a film like this into a spectacular achievement," she said.

No comments: